Day 49: Sun 02 Apr 23 - Elliston

Sun 02 Apr 23 - Elliston

We woke to 6 Deg feeling like 3 Deg this morning - cold enough to give the diesel heater a run. It reached 24 Deg during the day, but the westerly breeze made it feel much fresher.  Being so cool this morning and so tired last night, I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep from the end of daylight saving. First job after I stepped out of bed was to catch up on the blog from yesterday, followed by breakfast. Then Dale and I headed over to the Jetty to catch a squid - I failed. It was quite nice in the sun, but the breeze was way too fresh, so after about an hour, I returned to caravan for a hot coffee with Noel, which we enjoyed out of the breeze in the warm sunshine.  I took the drone out for a few aerial shots, then after lunch, I took the bike (and drone) for a ride around the Clifftop Drive. I stopped a few times to enjoy the scenery, including watching a pod of about 20 dolphins offshore.  The Clifftop drive was protected from the wind, and the surfers near the "Shark Breeding Ground" were enjoying the perfect offshore conditions. When I reached the end of the clifftop drive and turned back towards town, the breeze became more of a wind, and it became quite a slog riding back. The rest of the day was quiet, just chatting with our neighbours, and packing away a few things for our departure tomorrow morning. Our next destination is Streaky Bay and it will be our last coastal town in South Australia for this trip. We only have about 135km to drive tomorrow, but we do have a couple of short side trips planned on the way.


Elliston -  Caravan Park (us at the bottom right) with grain silos in the background (Drone) 

Elliston -  A quiet Caravan Park (Drone) 

Elliston - View from the caravan park cross the Flinders Highway to the Jetty and headland (Drone)


Elliston - Bike Ride along Clifftop Drive  

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone) 

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive (Drone)  

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive at the Surfing Break

Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive 


Elliston - Bike ride along the Clifftop Drive. This bloke on the beach was going no where in a hurry - bogged to the axles. 


Elliston - The Elliston area is home 100,000-year-old fossil cocoons locally known as "clogs". The weevils that created these cocoons still inhabit the area. 


Elliston - Fossil cocoons can be found everywhere around here 

Elliston - Fossil cocoons or "Clogs"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 57: Mon 10 Apr 23 - Port Augusta to Flinders Ranges (Wilpena Pound)

Day 48: Sat 01 Apr 23 - Elliston

Day 13: Sat 25 Feb 23 - Robe