Day 23: Tue 07 Mar 23 - Adelaide

Tue 07 Mar 23 - Adelaide

15 to 21 Deg. A few showers and westerly winds which had eased overnight, increasing throughout the day to 35km/hr with annoying scattered showers. Less narrative more photos today. We dropped the car at Ford in nearly (3km away) Unley Road for a service at 0830 and returned to pick it up and 1430. After dropping the car off, we caught a bus into the city and both went separate ways. Me - I went exploring parts of the city, and photographing some magnificent old and new buildings. The National War Memorial was very impressive. I have been to Adelaide a couple of times over the years, but only ever for overnight visits, and I've never had the opportunity to wander around like I did today. I could have kept going for many more hours, but at 1200, I met up with Noel for lunch at a very nice Italian cafe/restaurant in the historic Adelaide Arcade. This building has its own wonderful history. It was also the scene of two disastrous fires in 1855 and 1884. After Lunch we returned to collect the car and went back to the van. I had a bit of a poppy nap, before walking over to collect my free bottle of wine from the Venue Management Office (disappointed that it isn't local wine - so many nearby wineries and they handed me a bottle of red from Griffith in NSW 🤷). It was free though - so don't complain I hear you say. I then went out for a bike ride through the parks surrounding the city, but with the persistent strong wind and rain, I returned much sooner than expected. Overall it was another fabulous day with new discoveries.


Old and New - Scots Church Adelaide

University of Adelaide

University of Adelaide

Walter Hughes Statue in front of the Museum of Classical Archaeology

Adelaide City

Adelaide City

National War Memorial - Monument to local WW1 casualties

National War Memorial - Monument to local WW1 casualties

North Terrace - Dame Roma Mitchell Statue

South Australia Government House

Parliament of South Australia

Parliament of South Australia

Adelaide Festival Centre Precinct

Adelaide Festival Centre Precinct

Adelaide Festival Centre Precinct

Adelaide Festival Centre Precinct

Adelaide Oval

Adelaide Convention Centre

Riverside entrance to the Railway Station

Adelaide Convention Centre

Adelaide City - Reflections

Adelaide City. Love the contrast of old buildings maintained amongst newer development

Adelaide City 


Adelaide Arcade from Rundle Mall


Adelaide Arcade - Old Tearooms

Adelaide Arcade - Our lunch venue

Adelaide Arcade - Old Tearooms

Adelaide City Arcade Artwork

Bike ride.  Adelaide Qingdao Rose garden

Bike ride through beautiful parks and gardens surrounding Adelaide

Bike ride. Japanese 'Hameji' Gardens - Adelaide

Bike ride. Japanese 'Hameji' Gardens - Adelaide

Bike ride. Japanese 'Hameji' Gardens - Adelaide

Short afternoon bike ride in the city parks. I planned to go much further, but rain started at this point, so I turned around and went back home.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 57: Mon 10 Apr 23 - Port Augusta to Flinders Ranges (Wilpena Pound)

Day 48: Sat 01 Apr 23 - Elliston

Day 13: Sat 25 Feb 23 - Robe