Day 65: Tue 18 Apr 23 - Peterborough

Tue 18 Apr 23 - Peterborough

6 Deg to 23 Deg by mid afternoon, no wind, no clouds, a beautiful warm sunny day.  I went for a pleasant morning walk through town before returning for breakfast and did a bit of travel mapping, then Noel went off for her walk through town while I sat outside for my morning brew. Peterborough was originally named Petersburg after the landowner, Peter Doecke, who sold land to create the town. It was one of 69 Places in South Australia renamed in 1917 due to anti-German sentiments during World War I. The town became important as a railway link between the mines at Broken Hill and the iron and steel processing at Port Pirie. At its peak over one hundred trains a day were passing through the town. After my brew, I rode down to the Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre for a guided tour for about 90minutes. It was worth the $20 (concession) and I learnt more than I thought I ever needed to know about all types of trains and carriages of the day. It was a very worthwhile tour though. Afterwards I returned to the van for lunch with Noel, then we both had a nap, and then while Noel finished her cleaning, I topped up the tanks, and did a few other outside van chores before another walk. In all a relaxing day, and beaut weather. We tried arranging some stays for the coming days, but found many places are booked out with the SA school holidays, so we are having to do a bit of rejigging and stay flexible. We're aiming for Burra tomorrow, hoping to stay for a couple of nights to look around Burra, and do a day trip into Clare, but we're unsure yet where we will land.


I attracted some attention on my morning walk - no food from me though

Peterborough - The historic Federal Hotel 

Peterborough - YMCA Building and Town Hall in the background

Peterborough - Main Street

Peterborough - Railway Memorial

Peterborough - War Memorial

Peterborough - Peterborough Hotel the first hotel built in town in 1891 as a single story building

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - The Turntable

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Boiler House

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Weighbridge and Scales Rooms

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Livestock Carriages probably owned by Kidman

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Morris Motor Inspection Car

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Morris Motor Inspection Car


Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Steam Engines

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Steam Engine

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre


Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - A great story about the process of becoming a train driver (a highly regarded position). Each driver was issued with their own coal shovel, the length of the shovel handle varied on the length of the drivers arms. The shovel was used for the obvious shovelling of coal into the furnace, but also for cooking their meals inside the furnace, and because the engine had no toilet facilities - yes, number twos as well (hopefully after cooking their meal)

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Steam Train Controls

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Steam Trains

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre 

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre 

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - First Class Carriage

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Turntable, workshops and Boiler House

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - Steam Train

Peterborough - Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre - 3 different gauges were run in SA

Peterborough - Main Street

Peterborough - Main Street


Peterborough - How I felt today



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 57: Mon 10 Apr 23 - Port Augusta to Flinders Ranges (Wilpena Pound)

Day 48: Sat 01 Apr 23 - Elliston

Day 13: Sat 25 Feb 23 - Robe