Sun 09 Apr 23 - Port Augusta (Easter Sunday)
12 Deg with a light drizzle and a lazy SE breeze in the morning, eventually clearing and climbing to 19 Deg with 26 km/hr winds in the afternoon. It was a leisurely start to the day, as it should be on Easter Sunday, and the Easter Bunny kindly delivered (Haighs Chocolate too). After a few attempts to go for a walk before breakfast, the nuisance rain beat me. So we had breakfast then drove to the Water Tower Lookout for views across Port Augusta, and into the City Centre where I left Noel to entertain herself for a couple of hours while I visited the Wadlata Outback Centre. At the centre, I did a self paced/ self guided tour through a "Tunnel of Time" for the Flinders Ranges and the outback, covering everything from when dinosaurs roamed the land and how the ranges were formed, to people who explored and settled the land and who still live there today. It's a wonderful interactive display and very informative, but after two hours, I decided I'd had enough and retreated to the cafe' for a coffee where I met up with Noeleene again. We went back to the van for the afternoon, and Noel did some cleaning, while I went for a ride to the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden via the Matthew Flinders Red Cliff Lookout with views over the Flinders Ranges, the upper estuary and red dirt cliffs. Unlike any other Botanic Garden I've visited, this one specifically showcases a diverse collection of arid zone plants and habitat covering 250 hectares. It's a wonderful display and a pleasant garden to stroll around, but the 45minutes I had there didn't do it justice. Returning to the van, I took the ute into town to refuel, then came back and cooked a roast lamb and veggies in the Air Fryer for dinner. Our first roast since we left home and it was delicious (even if I say so myself). We're excited to be heading into the Flinders Ranges tomorrow and to meet up with long time friends (and an old ship mate) from Victoria.
 |
| Easter Bunny snuck in overnight. |
 |
| Water Tower Lookout |
 |
| View from the Water Tower Lookout |
 |
| View from the Water Tower Lookout |
 |
| View from the Water Tower Lookout |
 |
| Inside the Wadlata Centre |
 |
| Inside the Wadlata Centre |
 |
| View from the Matthew Flinders Red Cliff Lookout |
 |
| View from the Matthew Flinders Red Cliff Lookout |
 |
| View from the Matthew Flinders Red Cliff Lookout |
 |
View from the Matthew Flinders Red Cliff Lookout
|
 |
View from the Matthew Flinders Red Cliff Lookout
|
 |
| The Arid Landscape |
 |
| Sculpture at the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden |
 |
Sculpture at the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|
 |
Sculpture at the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|
 |
Sculpture at the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|
 |
Sculpture at the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|
 |
The Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|
 |
The Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|
 |
| Caravan Park with Flinders Ranges in the background |
Comments
Post a Comment