Day 8: Mon 20 Feb 23 - Mount Gambier

 Mon 20 Feb - Mount Gambier

10 Dec overnight reaching 25 Deg by mid afternoon. Another beautiful sunny day becoming overcast with a very fresh 25 km SE wind in the evening. The day started with a long walk from the caravan park up to the the Blue Lake onto a lookout above the Valley Lake. It’s hard to walk past the Blue Lake without taking photos - it is spectacular. Back at the van after breakfast I dropped Noel into town for some me time wandering around, while I took the ute for a wash. We parked it under the tree in front of our van last night and woke to the whole of the roof and driver side spray painted with bird droppings (seriously - the whole roof and drivers side was covered). I then returned to the visitor information centre for a bit more information about upcoming destinations, and then drove into town to explore some of Mount Gambier’s historical buildings. Mount Gambier has a relaxed feel about the place with some wonderful architecture. The style of building here is very unique, with some wonderful historical buildings including residential using a combination of sandstone, and pink and grey dolomite. Unfortunately, I think a tourist tax is applied in Mount Gambier, because it is quite expensive. Maybe they could invest a little to address the terrible internet service here. When Noel and I were reunited, we returned to the van for lunch, then we went for a drive down to the Valley Lake park which is a beautiful shady area where strangely it seems that you can water ski, but I didn’t notice anywhere for swimming. In fact there is a sign saying that swimming is verboten. From here, we drove 16km out of town to the Little Blue Lake - where you can swim, and there was quite a gathering braving the 12 Deg water. Unlike the Large Blue Lake in town which is the main water supply for Mount Gambier, people can swim in this Little Blue Lake. I thought about having a dip too, but 12 Deg was just a bit too fresh for me. Back to the van we went with the intention of preparing for our departure tomorrow morning, then I remembered I had to repair the centre bracket that supports the caravan awning. Back in the car and into Mitre 10 I went to buy a tube of Sikaflex , a caulking gun and some turps to clean up the mess I made last time I tried to fix it. About an hour later I looked at my handy man work a little proud of myself, but still too soon to tell if it will hold. The almost 90km drive to the coast tomorrow should test it out. I washed the bikes, packed a way a bit of gear, had dinner and another short walk around the caravan park, before settling in for for night. PS - The Pine Country Caravan Park where we have stayed the past 3 nights is located on a very large block of land about 4.5km from the town centre and caters for all types of accomodation including large grassy drive-through powered sites, spacious grassy unpowered sites backing farmland, a range of cabins, a private glamping tent section set aside for couples with no children and a section with glamping for families. It's surprisingly quiet and a very well maintained park - it gets a big tick from us. Tomorrow we head for the South Australian coast for three days at Beachport.

Morning walk to the Blue Lake

Cactus Garden at Blue Lake Lookout

Cactus Garden at Blue Lake Lookout

Blue Lake - another angle

Entrance to Pine Country Caravan Park

Lady Nelson at the Visitor Centre

Convent of Mercy

Former Wesleyan Hall built with sandstone, pink and grey dolomite stone

Catholic Church of St Paul

Catholic Church of St Paul - Magnificent Inside


Catholic Church of St Paul

Catholic Church of St Paul

Catholic Church of St Paul

Catholic Church of St Paul


Caledonian Building in Limestone and gray dolomite

Old Town Hall

Jens Hotel


Valley Lake Park

Valley Lake Park

Little Blue Lake

Little Blue Lake


Little Blue Lake


Our site at the Pine Country Caravan Park

Farmland backing the Caravan Park

Farmland backing the Caravan Park - Alpacas 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 57: Mon 10 Apr 23 - Port Augusta to Flinders Ranges (Wilpena Pound)

Day 48: Sat 01 Apr 23 - Elliston

Day 13: Sat 25 Feb 23 - Robe