Wed 22 Feb - Beachport
12 Deg overcast morning, but it felt much fresher with the brisk SE breeze. The breeze dropped later in the morning, and then the sun came out, warming nicely to a moderate 27 Deg, but the SE breeze picked up again late in the afternoon. The day started with an exploratory walk from the caravan park to the jetty, along some nearby beaches into the sand dunes and up to the local lighthouse for fantastic views. Back to the van for breakfast then after some washing we headed out for a scenic drive around the coastline stopping several times for a stroll to the beach and onto the headlands. After an hour we were back in town and stopped at the local cafe', which was very popular, overlooking the historic 772m long pier enjoying the warm sunshine and a nice coffee. We had two couples from Geelong staying at Robe for the week, join us for coffee and a lovely chat. Beachport is a very small holiday coastal town with some nice historic buildings, wonderful Norfolk Pines and a very relaxed atmosphere. Next door to the cafe was the 'Lobster Pot', selling fresh caught and cooked lobster. Being a prominent fishing and lobster fishing area, I promised myself I would partake in fresh lobster while in Beachport or Robe, so today was the day - a nice 750g Lobster for $48, nicely cleaned and presented ready to eat for lunch when I returned to the van. Unfortunately Noel recently became allergic to all seafood, so I had to sit outside and eat it by myself. I survived (and it was delicious). After lunch, Noel went for a walk, while I went for a ride around the area, and when I returned, I set up a fishing line trying my luck (unsuccessfully) at catching a fish off the nearby beach. The motivation was seeing another bloke catch a beautiful size snapper at the same spot earlier when I rode past. Despite not catching anything, it was enjoyable with Noel watching while I fished, but the fresh SE breeze sprung up again and it was getting too fresh, so we returned to the van for dinner, ending a most enjoyable and relaxing day.
 |
| Morning walk along the beach to the Jetty |
 |
| Sunrise at the Jetty |
 |
| The first major industry in the south east of South Australia was whaling which were processed here. Thankfully all that remains is this monument |
 |
| Morning walk along the beach - colourful seaweed |
 |
| Wonderful coastal scenery |
 |
| View overlooking Beachport |
 |
| Wonderful coastal scenery |
 |
| Walk into the dunes |
 |
| Wonderful coastal scenery |
 |
| Scenic coastal drive on wonderful day |
 |
| Beachport - a small town but some lovely old buildings |
 |
| The Jetty - at 772m is one of the longest in Australia. Construction started in 1878. |
 |
| A stroll along the Jetty (only half way as the other end is being renovated) |
 |
| Beachport - a quiet and very relaxed seaside town |
 |
| The Jetty Cafe' - morning coffee venue |
 |
| Fresh Lobster for lunch |
 |
| Roughing it - Fresh Lobster for lunch |
 |
| Beautiful coastal scenery |
 |
| Fishing debris sculpture |
 |
| Boardwalk into town |
 |
| Thong Tree |
 |
| Waiting impatiently for that elusive snapper |
Great pics mate. That lobster looks great. I'm gad you survived buying it .😜.
ReplyDelete